Royal Dutch Shell Plc  .com Rotating Header Image

Shell makes deep oil strike in Gulf of Mexico

Associated Press, 03.19.10, 08:03 AM EDT

AMSTERDAM — Royal Dutch Shell PLC says it has made a significant discovery of oil 25,000 feet below the surface in the Gulf of Mexico.

The company says the deposits were found at the Appotmattox prospect in the Mississippi Canyon of the gulf, an area where other rich deposits were discovered last year.

Shell said in a statement Friday it found oil at 25,077 feet (7,217 meters), then drilled an appraisal sidetrack and found more at 25,950 feet (7,910 meters).

Shell operates and holds an 80 percent working interest in the prospect, with the Canadian-based Nexen Inc. ( NXY news people ) holding the remaining 20 percent.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press.

SOURCE ARTICLE and its sister non-profit websites,,,,,, and are owned by John Donovan. There is also a Wikipedia feature.

0 Comments on “Shell makes deep oil strike in Gulf of Mexico”

Leave a Comment

Comment Rules

  • Please show respect to the opinions of others no matter how seemingly far-fetched.
  • Abusive, foul language, and/or divisive comments may be deleted without notice.
  • Each blog member is allowed limited comments, as displayed above the comment box.
  • Comments must be limited to the number of words displayed above the comment box.
  • Please limit one comment after any comment posted per post.

%d bloggers like this: